What is a Registered Hearing Aid Dispenser?

In the UK, businesses employing hearing aid dispensers, and the dispensers themselves, are required to be registered with the Hearing Aid Council in order to be able to sell hearing aids to the public. The letters RHAD after a dispenser’s name shows that they are qualified and registered to dispense hearing aids, while other letters (such as MSHAA or MRSH) refer to membership of a professional organisation.  Unlike the situation for spectacles, in which responsibilities for testing (optometrists) and fitting (dispensing opticians) are divided, hearing aid dispensers are responsible for both testing and fitting.